Sunday 5 February 2012

Whistle While You Work

Wow. I thought I updated this since my first shift – whoops!

Well, as you can imagine, a lot has happened since my last post. I’ve had a lot of fun with my friends thus far and my legs are still getting their work out. Honestly if I don’t have amazing legs by the end of this I’ll be extremely disappointed!

My first 3 shifts…I was a Spare, which means a whole lot of nothing. You sit and wait to make sure everyone in your height range is checked in. Once everyone is checked in you get several choices (well these are the ones I’ve been offered at EPCOT) ER (Early Release) find someone who wants an ER, be friends with a rare character or go out as a greeter. In all three occasions I chose ER, mainly because I hadn’t gone out in the parks with my friends without trainers yet. January 24 I went and explored the Magic Kingdom with Jen – we began our character hunting and gained several autographs. January 27 was my first day with my good friend Pluto at EPCOT and I won’t deny it, we had a lot of fun! Music is constantly playing, so when no one was visiting Pluto, he’d almost always bust out some moves. That was also my 12am finish shift, it wasn’t too bad, but the next day I was a tad tired. Saturday (28th) was my first shift at Animal Kingdom with Rafiki at Rafiki’s Planet Watch where there are live animals on display all day. Being friends with a baboon was also a lot of fun, different from the hyper-active Pluto, but Rafiki and I still had a great time entertaining kids, especially those who brought along their plush Simbas – Rafiki’s a little fond of posing for photos with plushes, not just Simba.


Visiting Cinderella - Magic Kingdom

Visiting Buzz Lightyear - Magic Kingdom

The 29th brought my first shift at Hollywood Studios – I had a lot of ‘firsts’ during my first week. This time I was friends with the shy Eeyore. It was only a short shift, but Eeyore managed to be brave enough to meet a bunch of new people – he even got to meet Jen and managed to get a kiss on the nose, I think he’s still a bit shy about that. Next brings me to the 30th – MY BIRTHDAY. Okay I wasn’t that excited and it didn’t even feel like my birthday. I’d honestly forget and when I was on my breaks I’d remember, it would slightly startle me each time. I’m the big 2 1, and had the opportunity to spend the day with Pluto at the Magic Kingdom! My favourite character (shhh don’t tell the others) AND my favourite park? It was a great 21st, how many people can say they spent the day at their favourite theme park with a great character on their 21sts? My friend Pluto had a great time opening the park, waving to all the waiting guests as they all counted down to the opening of the park for the day. I can definitely say I had a wonderful time. After work my housemate Lauren took Jen and I to Target to grab some clothes that were not winter clothes and final things for our bathroom, it was incredibly wonderful of her. Oh! And I got this:



From both Jen and Lauren for my birthday – I love it! I was literally looking at it a few days beforehand!

On the 31st (Tuesday) I had a day off! So I went to Magic Kingdom for breakfast with two friends, had a wander around the park, rode some rides then jumped on the monorail to EPCOT. At EPCOT we had lunch at the Japanese pavilion – Teriyaki Chicken was my lunch, yum! We didn’t start the ‘drinking around the world’ at Japan because they had Sake (gross) and plum wine (also gross), so we went over to America and got an ‘American Drink’ (or so the cast members told us) a Bid Light. Beer. I do not like beer, should have started with the Sake then… but! It wasn’t too bad. It didn’t have that aftertaste and was light – I guess I could have got that from the name… We finished that, looked around Italy and got photos, then headed to Germany. At Germany we got a shot – which I cannot remember the name of but it was B---mint or something. It was minty. We all drank it at the same time, each coming to the same reaction. It burned your nose, reminding me what it was like drinking mouthwash (though the shot tasted better than that). A few guests watching had a good laugh, so at least we provided some entertainment.

Norway was the next stop for the other two, I passed (thank god because apparently the shot they had was horrid). Then it was to Mexico! Where they love to drink from what we experienced. We all got margaritas, mine was a Wild Passionfruit, and then the two girls got some tequila shots. The bartender tried to get me to drink one, by even pouring one for me, I’m stubborn so I didn’t budge, so the girls went halves on that shot – which they got for free (as they should seeing as we didn’t order the third). Eventually we then found our way back to the UK pavilion where we all got our last drink which I can’t even remember what it was called, what was in it or what it tasted like. But I do remember it was good. Afterwards (after the girls embarrassed me by getting a somewhat drunken photo with Aurora – I refused and just stood by pretending I didn’t know them) we went to Downtown Disney for dinner at Earl of Sandwich, I will be going back there I can assure you.

Visting Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen - Magic Kingdom

Meeting My Favourite Character: Ariel! - Magic Kingdom
Oh..And Eric's there too...


That now brings me to Wednesday where I was back at work 3:30pm-10pm at EPCOT with my good friend Pluto. It was a fantastic night, at the end it was so dead Pluto got to go outside with Mickey Mouse for some photos, then Minnie Mouse joined the two and the managers were eager to get some family photos. So Pluto, Mickey and Minnie got some family portraits done that night and I’m sure they all enjoyed that. Thursday I went to Hollywood Studios for the afternoon riding the Tower of Terror (nothing like the thrill rides at Dreamworld) but it was still fun and we also jumped on Rockin’ Roller Coaster – my favourite ride. Yesterday, Friday, I was back at Rafiki’s Planet Watch with my friend Rafiki all day, and today I got to make a new friend – a Green Army Man. Let me tell you, we had A LOT of fun today. It was a short shift, but being friends with a Green Army Man has its benefits! As two Green Army Men were walking back to the toy box, two women oblivious to the two behind them got a bit of a fright when one walked up and grabbed her hand. They had a good laugh and played along before the Green Army Men left.

For the next three days I have spare shifts at the Magic Kingdom. 6am-3:30pm Sunday and Tuesday, 6am-4:15pm on Monday, but that’s because I get to meet Buzz Lightyear and I’ll see if he wants to be friends with me also. But we’ll find that out on Monday.


Celebrating My Birthday With Characters From Alice In Wonderland

Anyway, hopefully I’ve caught everyone up with everything. These days fly by, I’m not kidding! I have far too much fun with my friends, I think that’s why time flies. For my 6am starts I have to get up at 4:15am…definitely not looking forward to it. Hopefully I won’ be sitting around all day.

Until next time!~

No comments:

Post a Comment